Monday 18 May 2015

Methodology Publication

Methodology Publication - The Concept

Following the two crits, I decided on creating a publication which followed my method through creating a typeface, focussing on one typeface which I had created recently - Simplex. This method is how I have been creating typefaces since I started my first one, and this has obviously been refined down to the point where I can apply it completely and come out with a good outcome.

I was originally going to show all the typefaces created using this method, however I think a more in depth look at the most recent typeface will allow me to be more specific and keep the read simple and easy to follow.

For this publication I have decided to split this down to two books. The first is the main publication, detailing the method from beginning to end. This will be called 'Construct'. This is because the publication looks through my method of constructing and creating a typeface. The second publication will be a short one just showing the finished typeface.

The design of these two publications will be identical to keep consistency. The overall approach will be simple layouts with chapters. Each chapter will have a narrative, and then a more in-depth explanation of how it applies to the typeface being constructed throughout the publication.



Interactive PDFs

Construct Methodology Publication




Simplex - Typeface Publication




Final Photos










Evaluation

I am really pleased with the way my publication turned out in the end. I feel that it was definitely the right thing for me to do. I think the final printed books works really well together, and I particularly like the use of the yellow stock. It worked out really well, as did the screw binding. The binding works a bit better on the larger book, due to the size of the smaller one being a bit too small for the screws, but nonetheless, I think it works well and you can't really tell.

I think the most successful part of this publication is the layout. I think that the layout is simple and clean with everything spaced out well so there's not too much information on every page. Creating a typeface is a huge amount of work, and it was a struggle to keep the pages from being too overwhelming with information, but I think I did a good job in making the content easily readable and easy to follow. The also think the inserts in work really well in displaying the written information without taking up space on the pages where it shows the initial digital development.

I think the smaller publication worked out well too. I initially had this content in the back of the larger publication, but I thought that having it separate would be better because it is the completed typeface, whereas the larger publication is the method and building of it.

For a short amount of time, I managed to create quite a substantial publication, so I am really pleased at my work ethic and the amount of effort I put into the publication. I wish I had decided on the content and design earlier so I had more time to refine it, but I think that overall it is consistent and the approach is reflective of the typeface created throughout the publication.

The only negative I have to say about the publication is that it was quite hard to photograph the interior pages because of the thickness of the book. Looking back at it, perhaps it would have been better to score/fold every page so they would open easier for this task. However they book opens fine when reading, so that's what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment