Wednesday 20 May 2015

Brief 14 - Advertising

As I do not have much time left, I decided on doing a very quick look into the possible advertising for the App.

In these, I wanted to incorporate the same elements as in the App, and be very simple as it goes with the brand idea of planning a trip easy and simply.

I had quite a clear idea of the design that I wanted to go with, having half colour, half photographic imagery, the App over the top with a bit of text, and along the bottom the branding.

The idea of the branding across the bottom is to have the brand logo and then a line of city names, with the chosen city in red, as explored in the branding when I was doing this.

For the case of this advertisement, I will be doing New York, as the App is mocked up to support this.


I decided on the small line of 'plan your trip easy' as it's quick and simple, and gets the point across. I was unsure of the App image to use, but I think the list of activities gets the point across of planning a trip. I tried both red and green for the bottom half, and found that the rest just sat much better for this particular design, however I do want to incorporate the green into the advertising somewhere.

I think the bottom branding works really well. It's simple and effective. The idea is that if this were a digital ad, the city list would move across and different cities would go red to indicate the fact that this can apply to any city.

I also added the App Store icon to the top right to give it a bit more of a realistic feel. I think it works really well and actually sits really nicely against the photographic imagery.

I mocked this up into two possible situations.




Following this I wanted to create an advertisement to a different format, so decided on a red bus mock up. It has quite an interesting space  to fill, so it will really make me think about the placing of all the elements. There is a low dip in one side which will fit a mocked up phone perfectly, so I have to work around this.

I also decided that I'd mock up a different city for this, choosing Melbourne. I also think this is a good place to incorporate the green colour as it will be going on a red bus.


I initially found the layout a bit tricky to get right, but found that the final layout I had worked really well. With the placing of the phone definite from the beginning, it was jus a case or working all the information around it. I think the green really works in this too.

For a final advertisement I found a mock up which had two sides, so I thought it would be good to do two ads that work together - one side red and the other side green.

On the first side it would be what I've used in the other ads - the 'plan your trip easy', and on the second side it would be something else about the app.

I wasn't quite sure what to do for this, but decided on showing the Map and having 'map your day easy'. It works with the other line and is four words again, so will fill the exact same space.


I really like the way this advertisement turned out. I think that it flows nicely and incorporates elements from both of the previous advertisements - the branding element from the poster - and the imagery to the side of the phone from the bus. I think the symmetry of it works really well and is simple and execution and shows quite a lot of what the App can do.


I'm pleased with the way the advertising looks. I think that if I had more time I could explore this more thoroughly, but I think that I have done is good and definitely puts the App in the best light possible. I think the use of the colours works really well and the good photography pushes the professionalism side of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment