Sunday 3 May 2015

Brief 1 - Updating Collateral

The first thing I decided to update was the menu. I was not overly convinced with the design when I first did it, and I definitely feel that there is a better approach to it.

Original Design:


I like the overall approach, with the image on the left hand page and the layout of the text, however it is the gold border which I am unconvinced about. I think the use of a line is a subtle element in my branding and I do want to keep that, however I do not like it done in this way. I don't think the gold colour is working either.

I decided on reworking what I liked about the page and decided on keeping it very similar, but changing the gold to a black and having only a line across the top between the heading and text. I also left aligned the heading so it flowed better with the text. This is something that I previously did on the letterhead and it worked well.

Something that I have also decided is that I will just have one menu instead of two. This is partly because I have got a really nice brown stock which I want to use across everything for consistency and I think if all gold were to be foiled on this it would work really well. With the use of foil, there obviously wouldn't be al alternative to it to be able to find gold stock which matched, so the use of just gold foil on brown will keep consistency.

I also think because the majority of the products are available at both the bakery and cafe, it seems a waste to put them in both instead of just having one, with small notes to show the reader where this product is available.

New page design:


Another thing I decided is that the binding needed to be improved. Originally I had the intention of just stapling this, however this doesn't really work to the luxury side of things. Instead I have decided on screw binding the pages together. This adds a little more detail and consideration to the design. With this I have to consider the margin. I have increased this to 2.5cm so there is a good amount of room for the screws and the text.

With the new appearance of the text page, I also looked at editing the image page. I felt it was quite dark and overpowering next to the white page. I decided on changing this from a full page image to one with margins. It adds a it more light to the page, and I think the margins add a bit of sophistication to the overall page design. It looks a lot more considered over.

Final spread:


The grey indicates the margin which will be hidden when screw are placed in it. I think that overall this design is might brighter and cleaner. It is definitely a huge improvement on the previous design, and considering the changes were only small, it shows that a bit of refinement can go a long way.

Following the success of this design, I decided to apply it to the business card.

Previous design:


Like the menu, I have decided on using brown stock and foiling gold onto it, so the gold card is not necessary. I also changed the layout to include the opening times as this is something that is important.

New business card:


Following this I made a sheet of branding to be cut out in vinyl to be put on the physical pieces that I had. These are:
  • A large jar - for bread buns - a large vinyl of the brand emblem will be put on this. - black
  • Two glasses - one small and one large - either the full logo or just the emblem. - black
  • A glass jar - for breadsticks - the full brand identity - black
  • A plate - a small emblem to be placed in the centre - black
  • A bag - the full brand identity - in gold
Sheets for vinyl:


Black:

Gold:

Following this I looked over the entirety of the collateral that I had and decided that there were a couple more elements that could be included.

The first is coasters. These are obviously a small element but having branded coasters applies the brand that little bit more and shows the amount of detail.

I kept these very simple and decided to go with the circle shape like used in the emblem.

Coasts:


I also decided on creating a small pad which would be used for waiters in the cafe to write down table orders. It is another small detail but I think its something quite interesting to have as its very individual to a restaurant/cafe setting.

I kept this design very simple, deciding on just the brand emblem at the top and a number of lines for writing. I want this to follow the same design as the menu in terms of how it is bound with a screw, however this will be bound by the top corner so the pages will slide across to open. I will also perforate the corner so the pages can be pulled out easily. The cover will follow the same as the other designs in being brown with a foiled logo on the front.


The final piece of collateral that I wanted to add was a small thank you note. I think something like this is just something nice that can be added in and applies to both the bakery and cafe. It's just a little extra for the brand to thank the customer for their purchase.

I decided on just a simple black and white design which will be double sided, with the brand identity on the front and the thank you on the back. I kept the text simple and so it could apply to both sides of the brand.

 

Overall I am really pleased with the progress I have made on this brief now. I feel that it has all come together much more and the branding is now consistent. I think the use of gold foil will work well and definitely give it a luxury feel, especially with the brown stock I have, which is slightly textured and is thick. Combined with the screw binding I think it really improves the overall appearance of the brand and will have a much better visual look.

No comments:

Post a Comment