Friday 8 May 2015

Methodology Publication - Crit with Tony Broomhead

Today I took part in a crit with Tony Broomhead for the methodology publication. At this point I haven't really progressed since the last crit because I feel a bit at a loss of what to do in terms of the physical thing.

I explained my subject area chosen of looking into how I create a typeface, and about how I was having trouble deciding how to go about this.

After a lengthy discussion with Tony and the others on the table, I found that I had a much better idea of what I wanted to do, and a lot of really good ideas were put across.

One of the suggestions I really liked was that I should do a page of the set rules and then do a page by page of individual letters, in the order I create them. I really liked this idea as it's something very simple, and it shows my method in choosing the letters I create beginning until end.

It was agreed that I should definitely use all of my own content and not use any secondary sources, unless it's to do with a page about inspiration/influences, and that might not even be necessary. It depends on how I go about it.

I wrote down a list of everything to consider.

  • How do I make a typeface?
  • Set the rules & show how it applies to a typeface - first few pages setting rules & grid
  • Very precise & methodical - a lot of patience
  • Show order of how I create a typeface - what letters do I do first and why? How do I pick?
  • Is this the same for all typefaces?
  • Is it just for 1 typeface or will there be more in the publication?
  • Create a typeface through the publication
  • Show how I create a typeface - all the processes I go through
  • Context & reasoning - why am I making the typeface?
  • Why are some letters designed in the way they are in the typeface? Variations in letter design

After this crit I feel much better about the direction this publication, and I feel more confident in the content I have. I originally thought it might be quite a dry subject and be a boring publication, but I now feel that there are simple, but interesting things I can do to display it all in a more appealing and inviting way.

No comments:

Post a Comment